Culinary | Six Online Recipes Must-Keep

I have to admit that there is no such thing as your own recipes unless you are so talented like those famous chefs or probably some prodigy. Everybody do look for recipes everywhere be it online or cookbooks. From there, you tweak it to something of your taste bud and it become yours, in a way. That is what I saw from many cook blogs whom credits or adapts from another blog for their recipes. Well... same goes to me. I found some which is worth the keep and comes in handy when you need them at times where you are inviting guests to your house.  Maybe you have already come across but then, just bear with me for showing off my attempts. 

1. The 'Killer' Toast (a.k.a Super Soft Toast)




I have never thought that one day I would be able to make (actually my breadmaker does the job) such a soft texture loaf of bread. Other times I tried with the recipes from Panasonic cookbook, it turns out not as great as this one. I'm thankful that I come across this recipe and have since attempted twice, mainly for my breakfast. The downside is the hard crust. I chose medium and light crust on my Panasonic breadmaker (they have this function) but it didn't really turn out real soft. Can anybody tell me why. So I slice off the crust at times. Still edible so don't worry. This recipe is still as good. It maybe differ from different bread-makers.

Ingredients:
  • 250g Unbleached Bread Flour
  • 30g Sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 30g Butter
  • 180g Egg & Milk mixture (1 egg about 60g + top up the balance with HL milk)
  • 1 teaspoon Instant Yeast
Instructions:
  1. Put all the ingredients in the baking pan of bread maker, except instant yeast.
  2. Then put the instant yeast in the Yeast dispenser of the bread maker.
  3. Select Menu 3 for soft bread and Light crust. And let it do wonders for about 5 hours including knead, rest, rise and bake.
  4. When it is done, take it out to cool in the open.
Note: I'm using Panasonic SDP 104 Bread Maker. And because it contains no preservatives, the bread's softness can last only about 2 days. The freshness and softness at its peak will be when it is out from the bread maker. I was thinking that in order not to waste the bread, we can try using the harden bread to make croutons. Why not right?


2. Non-Bake Jelly Cheesecake


Of all my attempts in baking, the only one that doesn't fail me is no-bake cheesecake. Seriously, I was about to give up baking because I'm just not cut-out in this area despite simple recipe and steps to follow. Until I tried on Betty Crockers' premix for No-bake cheesecake (no longer I can find in supermarkets for a long time since 2015) and found this amazing fool-proof recipe, it boosts me up a little after successful attempts. That means I can only do no-bake type of bakes? Maybe. Then realized what I actually lack is learning the correct techniques. I still got a long way to go. Because the husband has no knowledge about baking but cooking. So either I self-learn or pick up classes. That is my only two options.

So with this recipe, I did quite a few attempts and did a tweak on the ingredient for the crust. Like trying on cornflakes instead of the usual digestive biscuits. It works. I did not put strawberries like the recipe says but just go on with or without that layer of jelly. Husband gives a nod for this cheesecake and he patrons it for his morning breakfast or whenever he is hungry at night. Passable. Wee...

Adapted from: http://www.noobcook.com/strawberry-jelly-cheesecake/

Previous post for recipe, click here.

3. Chiffon Cakes


A note to myself that this is the bake that nearly make me give up on baking. Like seriously. I really can flip table, throw all the things on the floor with all my might because I FEEL SO LOUSY! Again, problem with the technique. This chiffon cake looks simple but tricky. After the failure attempts, I learnt many things after reading up from FB groups. The eggs must be in room temperature. Cannot over-beat the meringue and must be stiff peak. Must add in liquid or anything required gradually for it to incorporate well. So troublesome and have to be mindful of so much things. 

Well well well... after some time, I picked up my courage to try this bake again with trust-worthy recipe from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe. I got to know about her through last year's Singapore Blog Awards 2015. So I checked out her blog and found many interesting recipes and I picked up this chiffon cake recipe, hoping that with my pea-sized knowledge, I can succeed. And yes I did at last. Achieved that soft texture of a Pandan Chiffon Cake. Another nod from the husband. The recipes are worth the keep yet again. Ingredients didn't gone to waste anymore. And that resulted in two posts, one on my failure and one on my success. Read them if you haven't.

Previous posts, click (1) for failure attempts, (2) for successful attempts, finally.

4. Tiramisu


This one doesn't requires baking and so how can I fail to do so? But I really did on my 1st attempt because it was too watery. But I never it was actually correct (never beat properly) until my 2nd attempt. Phew... succeeded finally and it was good though a little too moist. I'm not dumb. I'm really not. So happy about that. Was given this recipe by my friend who finds it online (I guess) so whoever see their recipe here, thank you so much. I credit you for this credible recipe. A little modification on the recipe (save money) and used plastic square container to assemble my tiramisu.

Coffee Preparation:
  1. Combine 120 ml of brewed coffee (or use 1 to 2 sachets of 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 coffee mix to brew), 1/2 tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract in a bowl and set aside (I omitted the 2 tbsp of Marsala Wine because I don't have. I put Caramel Baileys though.)
Filling Preparation:
  1. Whisk 250g of Mascarpone Cheese and 3 tbsp of sugar till smooth.
  2. Add in 150 ml of Caramel Baileys, 2 tsp of Vanilla extract and 3 tbsp coffee mixture (refer to Coffee Preparation) and whisk gently till well combined (looks watery and tiny lumps when I was making).
  3. On a separate bowl, whisk 200 ml thickened cream till stiff peaks.
  4. Mix in Mascarpone Cheese mixture to the cream till well combined.
Assembling of Tiramisu:
  1. Dip half of the lady fingers into the coffee mixture and line the bottom of container.
  2. Spoon half of the mascarpone filling over the lady fingers and spread evenly. You can sift cocoa powder over the filling. Repeat this step till you fill up the container and sift the cocoa powder over it. Cover it and chill at least 6 hours.

5. Nasi Lemak


Oh yeah... looks like those from hawker or coffeeshop stalls right? Bought the plate at $2 from pasar malam (Singapore version of night market) and since then whenever we cook mee goreng or nasi lemak, we will use this plate (for the sake of photo taking too). Superb shiok. The last time I cook nasi lemak was probably last year or the year before. The rice failed big times because my hub went along his own instinct. This time round, I follow the cookbook I bought from NTUC (I have a lot of them) and through the careful measurement for us two (recipe meant for 4 pax actually), I succeeded. 

Now I really believe this cookbook (All About Rice & Noodles) is trustworthy and recipes are fail-proof. So I'm gonna share with you peeps and note that it is meant for 4 pax so just halve the quantity will be enough for 2 pax. Also the Kuning Fish recipe too. Enjoy!

Coconut Rice Ingredients:
  • 300g uncooked basmati rice (about 2 cups)
  • 100ml coconut milk 
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 320ml water
  • 3 stalks of pandan leaves
Instructions:
  1. Rinse rice. Combine coconut milk, salt and water and pour into rice cooker pot. Set aside for 10-20 minutes (I omit this). Add pandan leaves and cook.


Kuning Fish Seasoning:
  • 7 fresh kuning fish
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Turmeric powder
  • Corn flour
Instructions:
  1. Wash and dry the kuning fish.
  2. Marinate with the above seasoning.
  3. Cover with cling wrap and put in fridge overnight.
  4. Heat up oil in a pot that is enough to cover the fish.
  5. A pinch of salt in the oil to prevent the fish from sticking to the pot.
  6. Put in the fish and let it cook for 2-3 mins on each side (or when the skin turns colour).
  7. Serve.

6.  Sambal Kang Kong


One of the must-have Zi Char dish for me because it is so appetizing to go along with a plate of rice. Yumz. Again, the cookbook (All About Zi Char Cuisine) is my saviour and I got to try this at home for many a times. Love it. But I omit quite a bit of ingredients so my version is quick and easy. But I will still give the full set of recipe by indicating what I have omitted. Why omit? Because I use the sambal chilli (Sambal Terasi) to replace all the seasoning and even chillies.

Ingredients:
  • 400g kang kong (Bought a bundle or pack from traditional market or supermarket)
  • 1 1/2 tbsps of belacan (Used an instant Sambal Terasi)
  • 2 tbsps dried shrimps
  • 2 chillies (Omitted)
  • 3 cloves of garlic (Used pre-bottled minced garlic)
Seasonings (Omitted):
  • 1 tsp dark soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp chicken seasoning powder
Instructions:
  1. Wash, drain and cut kang kong in small sections. Soak dried shrimps until soft and remove hard shells. Slice chillies, Chop garlic and set aside all.
  2. Toast belacan in dry pan until fragrant. Turn off the heat, crush the belacan and set aside.
  3. In the pan, heat 2 tbsps of oil and fry dried shrimps until fragrant. Set aside.
  4. In the same pan, heat 2 tbsps of oil to fry garlic till fragrant. Add toasted belacan to fry till fragrant. Toss in kang kong and combine well.
  5. Add chillies, dried shrimps, seasonings and a little water to kang kong and fry till soft.
  6. Turn off the heat and serve.
Not sure if you agree with this but then again, the above are gonna stay with me for life because tried many times and never fail on me. Though easy but to someone like myself an amateur home cook, it can be quite an achievement. From a instant noodle girl to 3 dishes 1 soup woman isn't easy. But at least I did it well in just 2 years. More progress for me and hopefully, I can come out with my very own recipe which no one will ever have.

If you have not read my article on Foodpanda Magazine, do so hereOr straight to my article 7 Reasons to fall in love with the culinary arts today!