Food Review | Crystal Jade - Jiang Nan

I'm not sure if I have blogged about them and I really can't be bothered to search back my archive. Anyway... this is the 2nd time I dine here with my hubby. I remember the first time we tried their colourful steamed pork dumpling (a.k.a Xiao Long Bao 小籠包) and you get to taste the different flavours. But for me, I honestly prefer the original. Not very versatile towards new creation of taste, yet.

Why I come back for it is because no queue. I'm well-known for my impatience in waiting (except that collagen soup). Anyway, before I go on, I need to tell you peeps they have this promo going on. Spend $40 and above, get a Free dish. Or if you are DBS or POSB credit card holders, enjoy 10% discount for the same amount of spending. For someone cheapo like me, I definitely go for the latter option.

Xiao Long Bao 小籠包

I have been to other places to try on this dish and I must re-emphasize that in my opinion, the criteria of a nice Xiao Long Bao is thin skin, generous amount of soup (enough to contain in the tiny size) and proportionally steam (without bits of uncooked or harden skin, esp the tip of the XLB). This one here met that.


Steamed Glutinous Rice with Chicken & Shrimp


Lo Mai Kai in the house. The texture is soft and fillings are generous and flavourful (spotted a Chinese sausage within). The only thing I don't like about glutinous rice is the indigestible after that, although it is best to go with some tea (esp if you choose Pu Er). I always have this misconception that I will get constipation with glutinous rice. Well... correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway once awhile.



Pan-fried Beancurd Skin with Shrimps

I must say out of all the dishes I ordered, this is my top favourite (usually is the one after this). Hot and crispy on the outside, tasty fillings on the inside. You get the shrimp bites which is fresh for sure. A little salty (I never dip in any sauce) but didn't stop me from having one after another. 


Spicy Pork Dumplings 紅油抄手

I'm quite disappointed because this is my favourite whenever I visit a Chinese restaurant but he red oil and black vinegar sauce that goes with it wasn't enough. I want it all looking red and spicy when served up to me. This one isn't, though the saving grace is the dumplings.


Fried Noodles with Shredded Pork and Cabbage

The presentation was a little messy and it doesn't look appetizing at first look because it is covered with cabbages. Superb cabbagy noodles. But then again, their noodles are thick, tasty and just like udon! I have this thing about thick noodles (udon especially) because the portion is small yet satisfying. Not gonna jeopardize your diet plan that much.

As compared to its other culinary concepts, this concept is not very impressive for a 3rd visit. Probably the others still deserve. What I have ordered are quite common on the dining table of a typical Chinese restaurant and I personally feel it all depends on the culinary skills of the chef. Sometimes you come across the same restaurant at different location but the quality and taste varies. Agree or not? I do agree.

Crystal Jade Jiang Nan
1 Harbourfront Walk
#01-52 Vivo City
Nearest MRT: Harbourfront (NEL)