Culinary | Homecooked Dessert - Red and Green beans soup

It has been a while since my last post. Have not been wanting to blog unnecessary, especially when I don't have anything in mind. Writing this post is because right now in Singapore, we are facing the haze issue, again. Every year, we definitely have to face this because of the burnings from Indonesia. Everywhere you go, you smell the burning in the air, which is totally unhealthy for all of us. Some may experience eye irritation, respiratory problems (esp my dad) and many more. So people, stay indoors and spend quality time with your loved ones. For me, other than stepping out for marketing and later on, voting, I will stay at home with my husband till Monday comes. Not to waste this holiday (because polling day), I cook Green Bean Soup. Have been wanting to cook this but too lazy and no confidence that I will cook well. My mum already told me how to cook, what is needed and so on. Finally find time to do it. Right time to cook this dessert to fend the haze.

RED BEAN SOUP

But first, let me share a recipe I learnt from cookbook, Red Bean Paste. I love it and will cook again probably towards the end of the year when weather changes. I did this during the SG50 long weekend and that is why you see a handmade flag. I flagged all my cooking that weekend with the SG flag. 

Red Bean soup has the warming effect to our body and best to consume on cold weather and also for ladies who are experiencing PMS every month.

Ingredients (Serves 4-5 pax):
  • 600g red beans
  • 100g lotus seeds (removed core)
  • 2 slices dried tangerinne peel (about 10g) - I omit this
  • 200g rock sugar
  • 3 litres water
Method:
  1. Soak lotus seeds and red beans in warm water for 30 mins and 1 hour respectively.
  2. Place all the ingredients except rock sugar, into the pot and boil in medium-low heat for 1.5 to 2 hours till the red beans are soften.
  3. Transfer tangerine peel and half of the red beans to food processor and blend finely. Put back into the pot, add in rock sugar and continue to cook over medium heat for about 15 mins.

I half the ingredients so that it is just enough for 2 pax. I give a miss for tangerine peel because just wanna make use of whatever is available at home. Minimize food wastage and save money.

This is my first attempt and didn't do it that well as the texture strikes a balance between coarse and fine. But the taste is just as great. Quite satisfied with it and will be better on my 2nd attempt.

GREEN BEAN SOUP

So here is today's dessert. Simple ingredients which you can get easily in supermarket.

Benefits of Green Bean Soup:
  • Dispel heat
  • Removes toxin
Green Bean soup has this cooling effect to our body so it is most suitable during hot weather like now.

Ingredients (Serve 2 pax):
  • 1/2 cup green beans
  • 1 tbsp barley
  • 1 tsp pearl sago, washed
  • 1.2 litres water
  • 2 strips pandan leaves
  • 2 1/2 tbsp rock sugar
Method:
  1. Soak green beans and barley for 30 mins.
  2. Place the soaked ingredients, pearl sago and pandan leaves into the pot of water and put to boil at low heat for 45 mins.
  3. When the ingredients are soften, put in rock sugar gradually with 1 tbsp at a time, stir till it melts with the soup and let it boil again. Make sure you test the sweetness level and add more according to your palate. Boil for another 5-10 mins with lid on and done.

2 1/2 tbsp of rock sugar is just right for my husband. So let us beat the haze with some of these simple homemade desserts which is not just simply dessert but beneficial to our health and also ignite our senses. Stay healthy during this hazy weather. Health is wealth. Bye!