Culinary | Homecooked Cantonese Style Steamed Egg

I know nuts about cooking before I got married and that worries my mum. So she got me down to learning from her, a Cantonese Style Steamed Egg dish that was handed down by my paternal grandmother. Her purpose is for this recipe to continue for generations after me because we are Cantonese. She has probably a few more Cantonese recipes to teach me but then, this is the simplest dish I will ever want to learn (for a newbie cook).

Now I'm gonna show you peeps the making of this dish using Panasonic NN-CS894 Steam Convection Microwave Oven

Preview of Panasonic Steam Convection Oven

Chinese Sausages on Crispy Grill Mode.
Cooling it this way.
The interior
The Recipe

Preparation Time: 10 mins          Cooking Time: 15 mins          Serving: 2 persons

Ingredients:
  • 2 Medium Eggs
  • 1 Salted Egg 咸蛋, cut into small pieces
  • 1 Century Egg 皮蛋, cut the yolk into small pieces
  • Water, boiled and cooled
  • 1-2 tsp Dark soya sauce, to taste
  • Fried shallots/springs onions, for garnishing (optional)
Method:
  1. Crack and whisk the eggs well in the bowl before pouring in the water.
  2. Pour in the water and mix well.
  3. Put in century and salted egg (incl. egg white) into the egg mixture. Mix well.
  4. Remove bubbles in mixture (if any). Refer to Tips for more.
  5. Put grill tray in the middle shelf of oven. Fill up the water tank.
  6. Press Steam 1 for 9 mins.
  7. When it is done, choose Micro Power at 300W for 6 mins.
  8. Once done, pour dark soya sauce on top.
  9. Garnish with some fried shallots/spring onions (optional).
They called it Three Yolks (三黄蛋) because three different types of eggs used. It is another way to obtain nutrients like protein. Though many said that the high calories are bad for health but neither it do you any good for deficiency. So have in moderation.

Brief pictorial illustration:

Chicken Eggs, Century and Salted Eggs.
Ready to whisk the eggs.
Done. Pour in water.
Smooth surface before steaming.
Let's get started
My finished product
Tips: In order to succeed, do not put too much of water. About 1 - 2 tbsp of water. It eventually helps to release out the bubbles. With that, it is easier to achieve smooth surface. And alternative to get rid of bubbles is using a sieve. Tried and Tested.

I attended SBA 2015's fringe activity, Panasonic Cooking Demo with my husband over the weekend on 20 June 2015 and we both benefited from the demo. Gain quite a bit of knowledge during the 2 hours cooking demo especially for a newbie plus foodie like myself!

My learning to share with you readers. Instead of buying instant fried shallots/onions, we can do it at the comfort of our home. Same ways for browning dry shrimps. So now your garnishes will be fresh and crispy. Use it for this dish if you want.

Homemade Fried Shallots/Onions
  1. The quantity depends on your need (I tried with 5 cloves of small onions).
  2. Peel and chop the shallots/onions to small pieces (not too small).
  3. Put into a microwave-safe bowl with some oil and a pinch of salt.
  4. The oil must be enough to cover the shallots/onions.
  5. Choose Micro Power at 1000W for 2 mins first.
  6. Then another 1.5 mins. Try to stir in between.
Before frying
After frying
I succeeded on my 3rd attempt. Lousy right? But it is an accumulated experience. More practices makes it perfect. Or near perfection.

Wanna know more of this oven?

With the Inverter Technology, Panasonic NN-CS894 Steam Convection Microwave Oven enables your food to be cooked evenly. Neither will it be uncooked or overcooked on any parts of your food.


My Steamed Egg was done well with a near-perfection texture at least. Need more practices. But thanks to this technology. I can now tell my mum I succeeded on the 2nd attempt because the 1st was too watery to even solidified. Electricity wasted plus disappointment. But now, she will be glad to know I did her proud. More attempts to perfect it. And my husband said it was good to have it with rice. Appetizing.

Steamed Egg has been a common sight in local food scene especially at economical rice a.k.a Chap Cai Bng (杂菜饭) stall and also a typical dish for Chinese family. There are variations in methods and creations though the end product will look almost the same. It is the easier dish to start off with for newbie cooks. So do you like mine then? If you do, try it.