Culinary | Homecooked Eggy Fried Rice

Why spend so much when you can cook at home that cost less than $5 (if you buy in bulk/pack)? Let me present to you my dinner, Eggy Fried Rice w shrimps and peas, topped with a sunny side-up. Does it look like I bought from those Zi Char stall at coffeeshops? Wahahaha... don't be fooled. I cooked that.

The serving size of the following simple recipe is for 1 pax.


Staples of Eggy Fried Rice
  • 1 cup of rice, cooked and mix with pepper and sesame oil
  • 2 to 3 eggs, beaten and mix with pepper and light soya sauce 
Mostly importantly, I don't put the cooked rice overnight like some or many will do. The cooked rice will just go straight into the pan to cook after mixing. And it turns out just as good as those overnight rice. 

Standard Seasoning
  • Fish sauce
  • Pepper
  • Sesame Oil
  • Light Soya Sauce
As for the colour, if you wanna have it to be healthier, less light soya sauce. For a more yellow or golden colour, use 2-3 egg yolks (not the whole egg). I don't suggest you use colouring. 

Method
  1. Heat 1 tsp of oil in the pan.
  2. Pour in the egg mixture when the oil is ready. Spread evenly around the pan.
  3. Till the egg is 90% cooked (less sight of the mixture), pour in the rice. Mix well with the egg.
  4. Season it (with the above standard seasoning) to your preference.
  5. Mix it well with every seasoning put in. One at a time and keep stirring to ensure the flavour blends into every single rice grains.
  6. Add your preferred ingredients here and make sure all is cooked.
  7. Garnish with spring onion or fried onion.
  8. Serve.
As for the ingredients, I will not emphasize too much because it all depends on individual. So I must say fried rice is easy and superb convenience for working professionals like us. Hassle-free. All up to you to create something that no one or even restaurants will sell. The most common fried rice out there is Yang Chow Fried Rice 杨州炒饭. Or Silver Fish Fried Rice 银鱼炒饭. I usually order these very common ones when I dined out. 

Let me tell you what are some of the ingredient I usually put in:
  • Luncheon meat, in cubes (1 cup)
  • Fishcake, in cubes (1 cup)
  • Pre-packed green peas, to add on some colour (1/2 - 1 cup)
  • Pre-packed chicken chunks, slice into smaller pieces (2 cups)
  • Silver fish, fried before hand (reduce your light soya sauce as silver fish is salty, 1/2 cup)
  • Shrimps, frozen pre-packed type (1 cup)
And many more. The quantity/measurement for the ingredients usually is 1/2 to 2 cups.

I remember my mum will cook fried rice with mixed vegetables that contain carrot cubes, cob corn, peas and so on. You can see how colourful it is that wok of fried rice.

I must say I really love cooking fried rice for myself and my hub. He taught me once and the next time, I'm on my own and even use the method I learnt from cooking class at community centre many years ago. *Snobbish*

So let us have a good meal everyday, cooked with love by anyone in the house. If you wanna see my previous cooking of Fried Rice, probably go to this post here. Some photos to show u peeps there. Enjoy.


Disclaimer:
I have to emphasize on this that I never go around searching for recipes and is mostly taught by my husband who is a great cook, but not any good in baking. Or probably I learnt it when I dined out too. Guess whatever I write here is quite standard and juvenile which is suitable for noob cooks like myself. Even if I were to follow recipes, I will modify a little on the ingredients or measurement/quantity. Plus credit that person. So I hope this clears any future issues raised in regards to similar/common recipes online or such.